Martha Ellis Gellhorn was an American travel and crime writer and journalist, who is considered to be one of the greatest war correspondents.
She reported one very world conflict that took place during the 60 years of her career, from country to country, to describe wars in the most accurate way possible.
She was one of the first female war correspondents ever and one of the best American reporters of the 20th century.
5 facts about Martha Gellhorn
1. Journalist and travel writer who is regarded as one of the best war correspondents of the 20th Century.
2. She graduated from Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania.
3. She had a prestigious prize named in her honor called the Martha Gellhorn Prize for Journalism.
4. She divorced her husband Tom Matthews in 1963.
5. Her first husband was the famous writer: Ernest Hemingway.
« Nothing is better for self-esteem than survival. »
« The only way I can pay back for what fate and society have handed me is to try, in minor totally useless ways, to make an angry sound against injustice. »
« I tell you loneliness is the thing to master. Courage and fear, love, death are only parts of it and can easily be ruled afterwards. If I make myself master my own loneliness there will be peace or safety: and perhaps these are the same. »